Saturday, August 01, 2009

Cement

Dave has been very busy working in the yard. Getting in and out of the house latetly has been tricky, but it just keeps getting better now. Here are some cement pictures in the yard. This is the after picture of the new steps out of the enclosed porch door. For awhile we didn't have any back door porches, so we just jumped out.
This is what the steps looked like before.
Here is the new side walk leading from the basement stairs to the parking area.
The new stairs going down to the basement. To show how much dirt we added to the yard, picture no steps here. It used to be level with the basement door so no steps were needed. We did this to try and prevent flooding in the basement. All of the water used to run right under the basement door. Hopefully this will help solve the problem. The sidewalk is sloped slightly away from the stairs so that the water will run toward the lawn instead of the basement door.
Before the basement stairs and sidewalk, but after we had added some dirt. I don't have a picture of the original door way.
The new cement deck we had poured in the back. We still don't have steps out the back door. Dave will build those.
The old porch out the back door. We called this the "snake pit" because there were several snakes living underneath it. I hate snakes. We won't miss the snake pit.
Dave and all of the junk after he tore up the front driveway, porch, and sidewalk.
The new sidewalk and steps in front. I don't have an original picture of the steps, but they had settled a bit, and were sagging. I love the new ones. We had the side walk go closer to the house than the old one, because the big pine tree out front has grown so big, you hit your head on it when you walked on the sidewalk. So, we moved the sidewalk.
The new driveway. We still have to wait until the end of August before we can drive on it, but atleast we can walk on it and use the stairs.
After the stairs and sidewalk were torn out. There was a bone in the steps we took out. Dave jokes that it was his lost brother Ralph.
The old sidewalk torn out.
When the driveway was torn out. Thank goodness for Dave's Dad's tractor. That is what we have been up to for awhile. Now we need a little more dirt, a sprinkling system, and some grass. We won't plant grass until fall, though.

4 comments:

Gords said...

It all looks really good. I've noticed biking by that you guys have been up to alot of projects! I really like the story of Dave's lost brother Ralph. That's something I'd do.

The driveway especially looks great.

Tiff Gatten said...

Wow! What a lot of work. Way to go Dave! I'll look forward to coming up the steps when I return you book. Thanks for lending it to me. Oh, and your house is looking way good. Love the kitchen!

Mary Ann said...

Looks good!

Tracie said...

It looks so much better than when I was there a little bit ago. Good Job!!