Monday, June 15, 2009

The Big 10K

If you read Susan's blog, some of this may be a repeat, but I tried to choose different pictures. I went to Rexburg this last weekend to run the Teton Dam Marathon 10K with my twin sister Susan. They call it the dam marathon. Some people don't like that name. Here we are at the start line. They are about to say "go".
They were passing out clappers for those waiting to cheer on the runners. The kids thought they were cool. The race was 6.2 miles. There was a major long hill that was really hard, and on the way up the hill, I heard someone from the sidelines say, "Good job guys. You've almost gone 2 miles." When I heard that, I was seriously thinking I would never make it the rest of the way, because that hill was torture. But, we ran up the whole thing even though we could not talk we were breathing so hard. Then, the downhill part came, and it wasn't so bad.

Here is part of the cheering crowd. They made me very happy when I saw them at the finish line. Good moral support. Dave was in charge of all 8 kids during the hour we were running, and he did a great job.
Me running to the finish line.
While we were waiting for the race results, several kids had balloons, and everytime Michelle saw one, she reached out for it. So, Dave tried to find her one but couldn't. He finally asked someone where they got theres, and the people gave Michelle their balloon. She was so happy.
The kids played on the playground while we waited.
When the race results finally came in, I was 5th place in my age group and Susan was 6th. The times were so close, if Susan and I could have gone just a little faster, we would have beat more people. There were 14 total women in our age category. It was fun, and I want to try it again sometime. Susan has not convinced me to run the half marathon with her, so someone else is going to have to help her out. Any volunteers?
After the race, we went to Green Canyon hot springs with Susan and her kids and Dave's sister Shauna and her kids. It was a lot of fun. It rained on us while we sat in the hot tub, and the kids thought that was really cool. I think the warm water helped me not be sore, because I was not sore at all the next day, even with that huge hill. After swimming we went to Shauna's for pizza. Kaitlin and Heather spent the night there to play with the girl cousins, and Jared, Ethan, Kevin, Susan, and I played a game of Ticket to Ride. Ethan won, and he informed me that I did not play the game like Tracie. Something to do with putting the wilds back when there were too many. He's so cute. It was a fun weekend.






5 comments:

Tracie said...

lol I'm glad Ethan missed me while playing ticket to ride. It would have been fun to cheer you all on. Maybe I'll run the 5k next year....we just need someone to run the full marathon next year and we'll have someone from the family in each race...

Becca Queen of Chaos said...

You guys are AWESOME!!

Delene said...

Wooow!

marie said...

Seriously how do you do it? I couldn't run it when I was young now I'm old I can't even imagine:) You are awesome and I am totally impressed with you and Susan!

Tiff Gatten said...

Woot! Woot! Go go mama! I think the Damn Marathon is a GREAT name. :) But I'm thinking Dave is the one that should have trained....eight kids! Poor man. I don't know how he does it. I'd rather run 26.2 miles than watch 8 kids. Your the man DAVE!