Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Girls camp

I spent the last week at Heber Valley camp with our young women. It was a great time. I wasn't very good at taking pictures, but there are a few. The first night our ward was in charge of the overnight hike for all of the girls in the stake that were 4th year girls. We donned our heavy backpacks and hiked a mostly uphill trail. Dave was our leader (he came that night as one of the Priesthood leaders. It was fun to have him there). It was about a 1 1/2 mile hike, but very strenuous. We were glad when we got there. We played some games, cooked dinner with our MRE heaters, and had a family home evening lesson. We laid out our sleeping bags and waited for it to get dark so we could do some star constellation observations. There are several retired couples at Heber Valley camp that serve missions there. One couple came up to check on us and pick up our garbage, and about 5 minutes after there arrived, we had another visitor. A black bear. Can you believe it? I have never seen a bear in the wild until now. We never felt threatened. The missionaries had a horn in their truck that they blew to scare the bear away, and then we proceeded to pack up. We weren't going to stay sleeping under the stars with a bear. I don't think it was a coincidence that the missionaries showed up just before the bear. It was a great experience. The next night it rained, so we sat under shade canopys and had some camp fire skits.
This is our ward camp director, Becky Dennis, all dressed up as a hillbilly. She was so funny. She was introducing her daughter, Neleh, as our speaker for the night. Neleh told us all about her Survivor experiences. It was fun. The girls really enjoyed it.
Neleh and her mom again.
This was the group in our cabin. We had three cabins this size, so times this group by 3, and you know how many people in our ward there were. Wednesday night Jenny Phillips, an LDS singer, came to do a fireside. That was really good. She wrote the theme song to our camp which was "Keepers of His Light". The last night was a testimony meeting (with just our ward) that lasted almost till midnight. It was really good, though. It was a great time, but I was glad to come home, too.

2 comments:

Susan said...

Lucky, you got to meet a Survivor celebrity. So that's where you were when Mom had your kids. I guess you got to do your calling after all. Darren saw two black bears the other day when he was fishing. Ironically, he was fishing at "Bear Gulch". He decided it was time to go home after he saw the second bear.

Tracie said...

Oh....I miss girls camp! I would have packed up and left too if there was a bear!