Monday, March 03, 2008
Journey to Portland
This weekend, we took an unexpected trip to Portland. Last Tuesday, Dave's Grandma Mumford was fixing breakfast and had a stroke and died. In April, she would have turned 90 years old. She was healthy and taking care of herself and her husband when she died. The funeral was Saturday, so we left Thursday evening and drove as far as Boise. The total trip takes 12 hours, and we wanted to break it up. The kids were very excited about staying in a hotel. They took turns sleeping in the bed. One night the girls would sleep in it with the boys on the floor, and the next night they would trade.
These two pictures are the first night in the hotel.
This was a funny picture of Luke. They were watching cartoons in the morning and he was all stretched out on the bed.
About an hour outside of Portland there are some waterfalls called Multnomah Falls. By the time we got there it was raining and almost dark, but we still hiked up there anyway. It wasn't very far and it was a great way to stretch out legs. We had to take turns, though. We kept Michelle in the car because it was raining pretty good. Dave went first, and then I took the kids a second time.
Looking down the falls when you are at the top.
I took this picture to show how wet we all were when we were done.
Some stairs going up to the path.
More of the falls.
Heather really liked these dolls. They were on display at the funeral because Grandma Mumford made them. She did ceramics and painted the pictures in the background. She was a great artist. The funeral was really nice. Most of her family was there and I got to meet a lot of people I never have. The great grandkids all sang, "I am a Child of God".
This is us in front of Grandma and Grandpa Mumford's house.
On the way home, all worn out. However, they soon woke up when we stopped, because we saw a rollover happen right in front of us. I've never called 911 before, but I got my chance. We were the only ones to see it happen, because it was so late and there weren't a lot of cars on the road. Dave jumped out to see if he could help, and I called 911 on the cell phone. Another car stopped to help, too. It was an 18 year old girl in a Ford Ranger. She was okay, but very scared and shooken up. Her truck was not okay, though. That took us an hour, because we were at the top of the Blue Mountains, and it took awhile for the police and ambulance to get there. After going down the mountain, we stopped and stayed in Baker City, Oregon. Then the next day we ate breakfast at a place that had a train going around the top of it. Luke loved that. Then we drove the rest of the way home. It was sad that Grandma died, but we had a good trip. The kids were great travelers. The movies and Nintendo DS sure helped, though.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
That picture of Heather in the rain is a hoot. Jared and I agree she has definantley seen better days!
Sorry to hear that Dave's Grandma died. I remember meeting her at least once.
Sounds like a lot of fun except for the funeral
I'm glad you had a fun time on your trip. I wish I would have had movies and games like that to play when I traveled.
We go to Portland all of the time. That is where Rick's parents live, but I've never climbed these fall. Now I wanna go do it. What a great memory for you kids. It really is beautiful there.
Post a Comment